A young person today confronted with a dial telephone

17-year-old tackles rotary phone

3 Likes

That was hilarious,these youngsters are not as savvy as they think Bretrick.

1 Like

Give it a few years Bretrick and these young folk won’t be able to drive a proper car either with all this computer controlled electric rubbish… :009:
:red_car:

3 Likes

@Bretrick My first memories of a home phone was without a dial and to connect to a number there was a button to summon the operator. When the operator answered, then the number required would be given and then operator would carry out the connection procedure. That was from a telephone exchange know as Molesey.

3 Likes

On the old street coin boxes one could use the receiver rest to tap on the number you want. Hows many tried/did this I wonder

3 Likes

Ha Ha, I did Realspeed… :nerd_face:

1 Like

Likewise…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Young people of today will never understand the urgency of concluding a romantic conversation before the pips are going…try explaining that one! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

And i was one of those ‘operators’ LD for a number of years, in a London telephone exchange.
I loved my job. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The word on the block, amongst Millennials. Is.
If its not Labeled with the prefix “SMART”.
Being smart is not an option. :wink:

2 Likes

In this instance, I’m taking the opportunity to thank you and all of your work colleagues for the excellent service and also the time from the exchange clock at least once weekly without any charges incurred. I used to ‘reset’ the longcase clock in the hallway every Sunday and my local exchange clock’s time was used for the adjustments :+1:

3 Likes

It’s not only the younger generation that can get baffled by unfamiliar technology.Just watch me trying to push the right button on my mobile.

3 Likes

Here’s another example. It would help if you pick up the :telephone_receiver:

3 Likes

Remember having a party line in the second house we bought and moved into . A 1930s built one dead posh after the 1920s one we sold

3 Likes

I still do that now LongDriver. Twice per year when we alter the clocks I set my digital watch to TIM (although it costs now) and then use it to accurately reset all the rest of the clocks in the house…To the second…
:mantelpiece_clock:

2 Likes

All of my clocks other than the ancient longcase, are now radio controlled so no adjustments are necessary.
:point_right: The MSF radio signal is a dedicated time broadcast that provides an accurate and reliable source of UK civil time, based on the NPL time scale UTC (NPL). It is available 24 hours a day across the whole of the UK and beyond.
NPL = National Physical Labatory

We have only one clock in the house, a simple mechanical job but we do have several computers.

SNAP!

Wheres to Key
:rofl:

5 Likes

“The Party Line”. I guess at the Time. The SM. Line.
Recalling that. One was given circa 3mins.
Then Mother, in one lug hole and the next caller in the other. Shouting.
“Get Off The Line” “The whole world can hear your conversation”. :laughing:

1 Like