A fungus but what is its name

make sure you have your earmuffs!

1 Like

Goodness … the cry is fatal to anyone who hears it …

spooky.

Haven’t seen any pod people around have you? :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure thats what’s called Cauliflower mushrooms.

this ? https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/cauliflower-fungus/

Already suggested that one at the start Annie, from the same website too, but didn’t think it looked quite right.
Still reckon its Morti’s baby hedgehogs. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Annie

I had a look at the link you provided, must admit the fungi in question appear to be different.

Looking at Besoekers second photograph, this is what we had growing, it was the tree surgeon we employ to maintain our little jungle, that told me these Fungi were called cauliflower mushrooms.

The photo looks like clumps of Staghorn fungi, it grows on dead, decaying wood & can be a bright yellow colour & it’s predominantly an Autumn fungus.

1 Like

It looks like something from a coral reef.

Be careful. It may be a poisonous variety.

That’s the third time Cauliflower mushrooms have been suggested, but I’m not so sure.
Don’t think it looks quite the same as these. Do you?

As I said the picture Besoeker posted looks different to whats in the link, but it looks the same to what we had, and we were told they were called cauliflower mushroom.

The chap who told me is a qualified tree surgeon, who been doing this work for many a year now, he’s very knowledgeable so I just assumed he knows and was/is correct with his identification of our Fungi

Mind he also said they are edible too…But I wouldn’t eat one…

I don’t doubt you about your fungi for one minute Marciniak, but it was Besoekers I was on about.
Did yours look identical to his do you think?

Yes mine looked more like Besoekers than the one in the link

OK, thanks.
It certainly is a strange looking thing isn’t it.

1 Like

This is one where I broke off the stalk to show the under side. The other is a closer shot.

Ah, that top pic showing the underside certainly does look more cauliflower-like than the birds eye views, like the other pictures.

Yes, quite an interesting plant. I’d never seen one like it and it’s the only spot here where they seem to grow.

I have to agree … the top piccie looks like the fluffy underside of the cauliflower stuff … nothing like a little hedgehog at all.

Does it spread by spores? You could have a little colony growing there.