A Doctors Visit Today

To be honest, since I have been on statins I have not felt any aching joints, suffered diarrhoea, etc.
On the other hand, my memory has not been great, I often feel tired and I forget things all the time, but I have suffered all of these long before I began taking statins!

1 Like

Kendrick has a reputation that stinks.

1 Like

I have followed his progress for about 20 years and am impressed.
You say what you like! You probably stink more than he does :rofl::rofl:

I think statins are much the same as any other drug, in the way that they don’t suit some people, but are no problem at all for others.
When I started a long time ago, I told them I would give it a try but only if I had the lowest dose possible, and I have been fine.

We are all so different, so its inevitable that no one pill fits all.

I was very bad after my Covid vacc, and got whisked off to hospital (5 times), but others sailed through it with little or no problems.

My brother died when he was 63 and my father when he was 71 both from heart attacks caused by arteriosclerosis. I will be 85 later this year and I have been on statins for many years and reckon they have given me an extra few years. I don’t have any obvious side effects.

2 Likes

Good for you, Scot. Glad to hear something positive. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi

Statins is a group term, many different types.

The first one they gave ne did cause problems.#

I an now on Atorvastatin which does not cause me any problems.

2 Likes

Just got to this thread. I’m on Atorvastatin with no problems but V had to come of it because she had muscle pains caused by taking it. The one she takes now is OK for her.

Oh I forgot to update this…I received my results back, and all is well. I’m not too happy about the cholesterol though, which is 4.8 according to them. They said it was “normal” (which is 5, I think, before it starts being a concern), but I’d like to get it down a bit.

1 Like

4.8 is fine Pixie. My cholesterol result from a few weeks ago was 3.6 which, to my mind, is verging on the too low side.

2 Likes

Oh is it? And do you think the statins are contributing to it being that low? See this is what I don’t get…the doctors just have a chart to read from, and apply that to everybody, regardless of their lifestyle and diet. I eat fairly healthily (I believe) so would like to see if I could make changes to my diet, before I get much older and require medicinal help. (Not against any outside help, but I’d rather be in charge of myself if possible!)

Sounds fine Pixie. Why would you want it lower? Our bodies need cholesterol.

I’ve told this story on here before but a few years ago our Practice Nurse retired from the surgery having worked there all of her working life. She told me that during those years the cholesterol target level had come down and down and that now so many more patients were being described as having “high cholesterol”. She also said that it was only in recent years that people had been routinely called in for cholesterol checks. She said she had met patients she had never seen before who were now elderly but so healthy that they had not needed to visit! When they were tested they all had “high cholesterol”!!!

1 Like

from all the comments, I can’t make up my mind if I’m doing right taking statins, so many for and so many against. Who knows.

:man_shrugging: I’ve no idea Pixie. All I can tell you is that my cholesterol has always been below 5 since my GPs started testing for it. The ONLY reason I started taking statins was to stop my GP from badgering me into taking the bloody things in the first place.

If nothing else, LQ, they do work to keep strokes and heart problems at bay.

1 Like

Well after ending up on the kitchen floor and not realising how at the time , I’m on statins and blood thinners, I’ll keep taking them , to never have or greatly reduce a chance of that happening again.

Hi

My arteries are already hardened and not just the ones in the heart, 4 out of 5 of which are completely blocked.

The one remaining one has two stents in it…

No more heart operations are possible, so entirely medicine controlled.

One of which is a statin, 80mg a day.

The artery from my left leg to the heart is also partially blocked and the leg stops working from time to time.

My advice is very simple, take whatever they give you and if you get bad side effects get it changed.

It is far better to do this than worry about any possible side effects which some may get than decide not to take the medication and suffer the effects of the condition.

Hardening of the arteries is definately best avoided.

3 Likes

If you have had a heart attack or stroke then I think your advice is sound. however, from what I have read there is no evidence that taking statins when you have no such history will not prolong your life by even a day.

I don’t take them Lion Queen, they gave me bad acid from most of the things I can normally eat, especially at night. Which is the preferred time to take a statin. It’s up to you though, my advice would be to take them and see for yourself if you get any side effects.

I agree, Foxy.
They affect us all differently it seems. So no one knows how Queenie would be.
I’d ask for a low dose and give it a try, and then make my decision.

2 Likes

Well its not written when we go , lengthen or shorten ones life doesn’t come into it imo .