20 ways to attract wildlife into your garden/ backyard

And this was a better shot from our previous garden:

2 Likes

And we stroll about on the Roman Road where there is wild life:

Enough! I don’t just take bird pics.

4 Likes

We have an abundance of wildlife in our garden,mainly due i think to the fact that at the back of our garden is a canal.
We had a cheeky newt come into the lounge earlier this year,very sweet,but put it where he/she belongs
It`s lovely to see the barges go by.too,and on occasions a fallow deer and very rarely but so welcome a lovely handsome stag.
You cant beat nature.

3 Likes

We don’t see any greenfinches now or coaltits, the other day i saw a black cap it’s been years since i saw one. We only have 1 squirrel visit our garden because there’s a small wood down the path from us.

That’s a shame.
I miss butterflies the most, I suppose they were taken for granted.
Although I’m none too happy with the cabbage whites that have been having a banquet with my nasturtiums!

1 Like

Yes, I imagine most butterflies would be very aggrieved at just having to flutter around looking pretty. They have work to do, don’tchya know!

But yes, I do agree with you…I have only seen one butterfly this year and it was white.

1 Like

I was thinking of pesticides.
I spent a short while in the country (Bayford Green) when I was a kid.
One of my most abiding memories is a buddleia in my neighbours garden and the variety of butterflies settled and fluttering around it, I’ll not be seeing the like again.

If you want a few more white butterflies I’d be happy to pop some caterpillars in the post;-)

2 Likes

Haha! I think I’ll pass on posted caterpillars, thanks all the same. Royal mail don’t appreciate wildlife like wot we do!

This reminds me of when I was very young, and I had just learned that insects took nectar from the flowers. I visited someones house and ate all the flowers in her garden trying to find the sweetest ones! Needless to say I didn’t get to go there again! :astonished:

2 Likes

We only see butterflies with the hot weather and there’s not so many.

1 Like

I know, Logan…I used to see so many different kinds, and also caterpillars. I haven’t seen a caterpillar in years now I think about it. So unusual.

1 Like

Yes and to think of it i haven’t seen wasps yet, usually get them on the gooseberries and plums but i don’t miss them, but they’re a part of everything else.

1 Like

Oooh gooseberries? I adore them! And wasps, well they tend to materialise up here around late August/Early September so plenty of time (sadly). I did notice a few going into a hole just under the roof, so maybe there’s a nest there just waiting to explode :scream:

1 Like

Oh dear i hope that you haven’t got a nest up there. I let the gooseberries ripen a lot before picking perhaps they were early this year.

1 Like

I have 3 tiny wildlife ponds, that are teaming with life, birds seem to prefer drinking from the ponds also bathing in them ,rather than the bird bath I also have out.

I have a lot of wasps visiting the ponds, amongst other flying insects, the wasps tend to settle on the duckweed, one even settled on my arm unknowingly to me, until it stung me,:open_mouth:…apparently they only sting if they feel threatened or you are near their nest.

I have lots and lots of blooming flowers and tomato plants, which have attracted bees, butterflies , I have bird feeders out, unfortunately they also attract mice and rats, …my garden has always been a haven for wildlife…I too have one nest box…enjoyed watching the video,thanks.:+1:

1 Like

I have a myriad of wildlife in the garden. I feed the birds ,and robins and even a young blackbird come when called ,also dunnocks. Bees in abundance in the lavender and snap dragons.

I did have field mice under the patio steps but they seem to have disappeared of late.

Yesterday I had this beautiful creature on my patio door so I could see both sides. It’s a Jersey moth.

download|290x174](upload://c59FbggGSfZRnzD7iogQNMKoIQ8.jpeg)

1 Like

Sorry image didn’t download.

download

3 Likes

That’s great @pauline3 and @Octogen I have a lot also, i get hedgehogs and a field mouse.

2 Likes

I like dunnocks.We had some in our garden in the UK .I thought it was a sparrow until it started to sing.

1 Like

Remove the plastic grass that is a big start to inviting wildlife into your garden.

1 Like

These are the flowers for the bees ,butterflies, and all sorts of flying insects that land on them.

This is one of the tiny ponds, can you see the wasp on the duckweed…there don’t seem to be many around today.

3 Likes