12.5 % concessionary charge

I am going to a hotel for 3 nights next week and have booked bed and breakfast . My friend and I have also booked a dining table each evening . I’ve just been reading the menu and seen that a concessionary 12.5% charge is added to the bill .

Looking at the prices I’m expecting each meal to cost approx £70 with wine each evening .

I honestly dont feel I want to pay this much in tips over 3 nights , dont get me wrong we will leave a few pounds tips but I wouldnt normally pay around £25 in tips for 3 nights .

Would I be wrong to say I dont want the concessionary 12.5% on top at the end of our stay

I’m not a meanie honestly :innocent:

What a ruddy cheek, Susan! :flushed:
So they are not only saying you MUST tip, but telling you how much as well!

Reminds me of these Charities that not only EXPECT us to donate, but state the amount they want off you too!
Puts me right off, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Is it a mandatory charge? Or are you able to opt out? Because, like Mups, I think that is a ruddy cheek. Honestly the whole tips thing winds me up. Why should we tip someone for doing a job that they’re paid to do?! And why only some jobs? I mean, you don’t tip your dentist, do you? Or the checkout staff at the supermarket. Or the bus driver.

Fix your flipping prices so that you can pay your staff a decent wage, and stop the tips!

2 Likes

I think that you should eat elsewhere, susan_m, it’s not unusual for Hotels to do this as they quite often think that Customers are able to claim it back on expenses.

Try finding Food within a reasonable taxi ride away!

You’ll save lots - and get better choices, often!

3 Likes

Which country is this in?
I know that tipping expectations and rules are different in different countries.

I haven’t heard the term “concessionary charge” before - in UK, I have come across two types of Service Charge - a Discretionary Service Charge, which you do not have to pay if you don’t want to, or you can reduce the amount if you wish. I think this is the most common form of service charge, equivalent to giving the staff a tip - and at least the law now stops the restaurant owners from keeping that for themselves, as they used to do sometimes - they are now legally obliged to share all of it amongst the staff

I think that they can charge a “compulsory service charge” but they have to tell you about that upfront - and if you receive poor service, you are entitled to refuse to pay it. I can’t recall ever being presented with a compulsory service charge, so I don’t think it’s very common.

I must admit, left to my own choice, I usually give a tip of 10% but if the 12.5% has been added to the bill, I pay it (I used to ask them to deduct it from the bill, then pay the staff a cash tip to make sure they got it, before the law changed)
If the service was really poor, I’d probably refuse to pay the service charge and say why.

If you think the total tip is too much for the whole stay, you could just pay part of it - either when each bill is presented at the end of each meal or, if the meals are being added to your room bill, you may be able to arrange with the receptionist to reduce the total service charge.
If I was concerned about it, I would have a chat with the receptionist when I checked in and ask her the most convenient way for customers to adjust automatically applied service charges.

PS I also agree with the previous poster who suggests eating outside the hotel. I rarely eat all my evening meals in the hotel I’m staying in, as they are often over-priced and you can often find good places to eat at more reasonable prices elsewhere.

Ooooh I think I was expecting to be told I was mean etcetc so to read the replies makes me feel I’m not wrong so thankyou i am now going to email the hotel and tell them i dont want it added to my dining bill . I’m hoping concessionary means I can make a choice . I’ll let you know .

Yes, when the service charge is bigger than the return taxi fare, it’s time to call a halt!

I like to tell the “gushing” head waiter, at the entrance, that any “tip” must be earned and I’ll pay it, in cash, to whoever provides the service at the table.

That person can then decide to pass some of it on if they wish!

It’s getting a bit like the USA, Susan, where the tip is expected, whatever the service is like, and the diner can come in for quite a lot of abuse if they don’t comply.

1 Like

That’s exactly what was going through my mind Tedc!

Yes, they work on the principal that you will be too embarrassed to argue.

Luckily for me, I don’t get embarrassed if I see someone ripping me off.

Although I am quite sensitive…!

:maté:

2 Likes

Tonight I received a reply to my email and have been assured the dining room wont add the concessionary charge to the meals we have in the hotels dining room . I’m relieved now and can tip as and when.

Thanks everyone for your support

5 Likes

A result!!

1 Like

It is not a tip if I am required to pay before the service. I base a tip not only on the bill bit on the quality of service, after all isn’t that what a tip is?

Have a holiday in Australia the weather is better (not at the moment though) and no one tips anybody. In fact “drip” pricing is illegal you must be quoted the final price and you can’t add tips as a charge.

I mean you can tip if you want to but few do, it is just not expected.

I love Australia I had a month in Adelade .

Every one here seems to expect a tip . If I dont tip I feel mean . I tip my odd job man , my hairdresser , anyone who does a bit of work for me . I’ve given bottles of wine or chocolates .

No one ever tipped me !

:tired_face:

Here’s a tip… Don’t tip!

The Winking Smiley Smiley